VTT on julkaissut Somed-projektiin liittyvän raportin sosiaalisen median mahdollisista vaikutuksista yhteiskunnan eri alueille ja yrityksiin lähivuosina. Raportissa (linkki-pdf) tutkijat ovat löytäneet viisi pääasiallista kehityslinjaa:
As a conclusion of the social media roadmap, we present the following five main development lines that are triggered by social media applications.
1. Transparency. The transparency of activities is a key feature in social media and it will be expected in other areas as well.
2. Rise of ubiquitous participatory communication model. Basically, two-directional and community-based communication will increase interactivity in every field, where it has some added value such as new services and improved user experience.
3. Reflexive empowerment. The rise of social media increases the empowerment of
the citizens in many instances.
4. Personalization/fragmentation vs. mass effects/integration. The key tension in
the utilisation of social media is the dialectic of the fragmentation and integration.
5. New relations of physical and virtual worlds. The fifth development line is the new relations between physical, i.e. daily activity environment of the people, and virtual worlds. practices induced by social media, e.g. communication, participation,
co-creation, feedback and rating, get more common in daily environment.